Alonso Almeida, Francisco
Francisco Alonso-Almeida is Full Professor of English Philology in the Departmento de Filología Moderna, Traducción e Interpretación, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. His research interests are (historical) discourse analysis and (historical) pragmatics. He has published on these matters in international peer-reviewed journals Another focal area of research concerns medieval and modern manuscript and studies, and editorial work. His publication of a volume on Middle English materia medica in the Middle English Texts collection (Carl T. Winter) is one example. He is currently working very actively on modality from a diachronic perspective and the notion of evidentiality. He also collaborates on a regular basis with the MuSTE research group, University of A Coruña, and with the Department of Applied Linguistics, University Polytechnic Valencia.
Licenciado en Filología Inglesa (English Philology). 1995. University of La Laguna, Spain.
Licenciado con Grado en Filología Inglesa (Research, 1997). University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. (Honours).
Master of Philosophy (Research) in Middle English. Glasgow, Scotland, 1998.
PhD in Middle English language. 2000. University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
My research interests concern the following fields:
- English medical discourse;
- changing patterns, genre analysis;
- charms and prognostication, astrology (basically medieval);
- women & witchcraft (medieval and renaissance);
- historical pragmatics and sociolinguistics;
- (historical) discourse analysis;
- dialectal analysis of English texts;
- editing & palaeography;
- corpus linguistics;
- the study of stance and evidentiality in research academic papers.